Home » NewsSources

Firecracker-related incidents on the rise

29 December 2015 No CommentEmail This Post Email This Post
Workers wrap fireworks at a makeshift factory in Bocaue, Bulacan. Production of fireworks has stepped up in anticipation of New Year celebrations despite the Department of Health advisory to avoid the use of firecrackers as numerous incidents have led to scores of injuries.(MNS photo)

Workers wrap fireworks at a makeshift factory in Bocaue, Bulacan. Production of fireworks has stepped up in anticipation of New Year celebrations despite the Department of Health advisory to avoid the use of firecrackers as numerous incidents have led to scores of injuries.(MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – The number of firecracker-related incidents continues to increase as the New Year draws near, figures from the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Department of Health (DOH) show.

As of 6 a.m. of December 28, the PNP has recorded 61 gun- and firecracker-related incidents, including 39 cases of illegal possession/use/sale of firecrackers, 10 cases of fire/injuries due to firecrackers, six cases of stray bullet, and another six cases of illegal discharge of firearms.

The PNP report noted that no casualty has so far been recorded due to firecrackers or stray bullets.

The report, however, said that a total of P629,506 worth of firecrackers has so far been confiscated by authorities.

The PNP report also said four people have been arrested due to indiscriminate firing, two of them civilians, one a police official and another a security guard.

Meanwhile, the DOH reported much higher figures.

In a press briefing Monday morning, DOH Undersecretary Lyndon Lee-Suy said that as of December 28, a total of 111 individuals, mostly children, have been injured by firecrackers.

This was a big jump from DOH’s figure on Sunday when a total of 81 firecracker-related injuries were recorded.

Suy said 77 percent of the recorded injuries as of December 28 involved the use of Piccolo.

At the Pasay City General Hospital, for example, of the 30 patients injured due to firecrackers, 24 reportedly used Piccolo.

Nine patients injured from firecrackers have been admitted at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Sta. Cruz, Manila, since December 21, seven of whom were due to Piccolo.

Eight of the patients have already been discharged from the hospital since they only sustained minor burns, while a 14-year-old boy remained confined as of Monday after sustaining second-degree burns.

A total of 714 firecracker-related injuries were recorded by the DOH from 6 a.m. of Dec. 21, 2014 to 6 a.m. of Jan. 3, 2015.

Suy said the DOH is hoping for a lower figure for 2016. (MNS)

Visit Source

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.

It's simple. ASK | Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape | We might say yes!
All rights reserved. 2008 | tataypepes.com | Concept by Jasmin Descalzo

Powered by WordPress | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Arthemia theme by Michael Jubel